Bird Friendly Coffee
Wouldn’t you like to wake up every morning knowing that you’re doing your part to preserve important bird habitat? We think it’s such an important choice that Prairie Falcon Audubon makes buying and enjoying the right bird-friendly coffee a breeze. And if you’re not already drinking shade-grown organic coffee, you’ll be thrilled by the rich, clean flavor of Birds & Beans coffees.
Birds & Beans coffees are certified as bird-friendly by the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center. Birds & Beans is, in fact, the only coffee that is Organic, Fair Trade and Certified Shade Grown! That means that not only are the beans grown without pesticides or herbicides, and by workers who are fairly compensated, but NO rain forests have been destroyed. This coffee is not grown in the understory of a previously cut rain forest. Rain forests are a critical habitat for migratory song birds. No Habitat. No Songbirds.
So, if you enjoy the fresh brewed aroma and flavor of coffee every day… now you can add the feeling of knowing you are ensuring the future of those bird hikes you also love with every cup.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Many of the warbler, oriole, and flycatcher species that we love winter in the tropics and depend on forest habitat.
- There aren’t laws that regulate which coffee can be labeled as shade-grown. Without careful shopping, your good intentions might be for naught.
- Next to tobacco, conventionally grown (non-organic) coffee is sprayed with more chemicals than any other product consumed by humans.
- Coffee-producing countries have some of the highest numbers of threatened bird species due to deforestation and loss of habitat.
- Coffee is the largest US food import. Some 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed in the world daily.
DRINK THE RIGHT COFFEE
- Americans drink one-third of the world’s supply of coffee and are the driving force behind the shift from traditional, shade-grown coffee to habitat-destroying sun coffee. The decisions we make at the supermarket or specialty shop have profound effects on birds.
- Sun coffee may be cheaper to purchase, but in truth, there is no such thing as “cheap coffee.” Throughout the tropics, inexpensive sun-grown varieties exact an enormous toll on biodiversity, not to mention rural families and small cooperatives steamrollered by large agribusinesses.
We place a coffee order three times a year.
- April order (delivered on the first Thursday of May)
- September order (delivered on the first Thursday of October)
- November order (delivered on the first Thursday of December) with holiday specials
Coffee order pick-up will be at 7:00pm in the Shields Building, Room 201 on the CSI campus. Pick up your coffee and enjoy a PFA Program!
Please bring cash (the correct amount) or a check when you pick up your order.
Make checks payable to: